I wanted to share with you a little of the journey this logo has traversed. Finding the right look and feel for branding elements is one place you never want to settle for "close" or "good enough". Your visual branding needs to fit like it was tailor made just for you. It is often the first impression a potential customer has of your business.
You might think because I do branding for others, developing my own branding is a breeze. Not so much. My Watercolor + Whimsy Paper Co logo went through months of revisions before landing the look I was trying to achieve. Let's talk a bit about that journey. I think it is so important to share the process to dispel the myth of "insta-branding".
Here are a few things to consider...
- Logos are as much science as they are art
- You have to say no to versions you genuinely like in order to find the version you absolutely love
Here is the evolution my Watercolor + Whimsy Paper Co logo went through:
- LOGO 1: Used a font based logo which I liked very much. But I wanted to create a logo that was even more distinctive than a font could achieve. Hence the hand-lettering.
- LOGO 2: I love this logo. It is happy and playful but not nearly elegant enough to do double duty and be relevant to the wedding side of what I do.
- LOGO 3: A valid attempt but I didn't love it. So I kept pressing on for about 8-10 more rounds of revisions. Yes- that many! Which is why logo design can be so expensive.
- LOGO 4: This version is a blend of some of what I liked in the three versions before it and when it was done, I knew we had a clear winner.
If it takes you a while to figure out your visual branding and hit on the right look, keep on keeping on until you love it. Don't settle. Your brand will thank you.